Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Maze Quilt

When I quilt rarely do I follow a pattern exactly.  I usually see a picture of a quilt and then decide on some slight modifications.  Then I draw out the new pattern with my dimensions on graph paper.  This maze quilt is one that I used this process to complete.

I found the original pattern in an old quilting magazine.  I could not find the magazine but it was from the late 1990's.  It was only a picture of the quilt no pattern or instructions.  I thought it was really unique and decided to give it a try.  I drew out my version making the quilt approximately 35" x 42".
The white blocks become the maze path. The beginning and ending are in opposite corners.  I did not want to add anything to draw attention to the start and finish to allow the child to explore different routes on the quilt. 

Being the frugal crafter and quilter that I am whenever I finish a project I take all of the scraps and cut them up into usable size squares.  I even save the smallest bits for other crafting projects, but that is a post for another day.  Therefore when I decided to make the maze quilt I pulled out my box of 2 inch squares and started laying out my pattern.  Now I am not sure what prompted me to lay out each row and attach the blocks one by one.  When I was about half way through making the quilt top it struck me that I could have used the quilting grid interfacing and this whole project would have been done in a matter of a few hours.  Instead, my brain freeze cost me about half a day just to piece the top together. When I make another one I will definitely use the grid interfacing.  I think my brain freeze was more of a brain fry because when I pieced the quilt it was 110 degrees outside.

I did a simple diagonal quilting pattern going only one direction.  This creates a diagonal movement in the quilt that would otherwise be very blocky.  The black border adds a nice outline for the maze.  When I was done I showed it to my family and my son said it would be great to drive hotwheel cars on the maze.  Guess what, he was right the white path is the perfect size for a hotwheel car.  Of course when he said that even being a teenager he had to try it out.

I used all different kinds of fabric on mine to create a very scrappy look and use up a small portion of my 2 inch square stash.  I think using only a coordinated selection of fabrics would change the look and feel but work well also. 





I hope this inspires you to try a pattern you like and make your own modifications.

Danna

No comments :

Post a Comment