Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Aprons are making a comeback!

Using an apron seems to be growing in popularity. When I was younger using an apron was something our mothers did, not us. I don’t know why, because an apron is a very practical item. I don’t know how many times I have ruined a blouse because I was cooking spaghetti sauce and did not have on an apron.

Well now, you can find a multitude of patterns in all sizes and shapes. I especially like to make a “Mommy and Me” apron set. I made these for Christmas gifts one year and they were very well received. It is always fun to have your little one in the kitchen and they feel “grown up” if they have an apron like Mom’s.

Here are a few I have made:

This is a Mommy and Me trio set.  It is pieced with left over fabric a friend gave me.  I used the selvege edge and stitched the strips together with a decorative stitch.  This provided a nice detail and a stronger seam.

This is a toddler size apron and chef''s hat made from left over jeans that belonged to my son.  I thought the ABC fabric worked well for a boy.  The pocket is a nice palce to stash the "treasure" boys always seem to find.

This apron is based off the pattern below.  Instead of a jean leg being the body of the apron I used a piece of fabric.  I love the look of the pleated ruffle.  It leans a little more to the sophisticated side.

This is a cafe apron. The loop on the left side is a piece of rick rack sewn into the seam.  This allows you to hang an towel from the apron.  These are great for guys who like to bar-b-que and get their hands messy. (It might make the apron last a little longer with the towel handy)

One of my favorite patterns is to take a leg from a pair of jeans and use it for the body of the apron and then add a pleated ruffle to the bottom.  Find the pattern  at Janet Smart's Blog. There are many, many variations of this pattern. I made mine a Mommy and Me set for my sister-in-law and her daughter.  I couldn't find a picture but I used a red polka dot fabric for the pleated ruffle.  They turned out really cute. 

You don’t need a pattern to make a simple cafe apron. It is a rectangle with a sash attached at the top. These work great with pockets for working in the yard, cleaning house etc.

So, if you have an apron in the drawer get it out and start using it. If you don’t, pull out your fabric and whip up a bright one that makes you smile every time you wear it. And of course while you are wearing your apron mix up some “Pink Lemonade”!

Danna













No comments :

Post a Comment