Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Simple Birthday Gift

I have the best mom in the whole world. She has always been there to support and encourage me. We have a great time when we are together. I am fortunate that we only live a few miles from my parents so I get to see her often.

When it comes to gifts she prefers something simple that comes from the heart. This year for her birthday I purchased a potted plant and placed a simple plant poke with a celebratory message. I knew she would love the plant and attaching the simple handcrafted message made it unique.

Here is the plant.  I wrapped the pot in patterned tissue paper and tied it
with a piece of bias tape binding.

 I made the plant poke out of card stock.  Then attached the scalloped square and the paper flower I bought on clearance for a penny for the whole package.  I then punched holes in the top and bottom and placed on a wooden skewer stick.  I put the pointed end into the potted plant.

As in an earlier post I stated that sometimes the simple things in life are the best. Many times today we feel we must “buy” the perfect gift and it must be more expensive than last year. Recently I was talking with a friend who was telling me about a Mom’s group she attends that sends a package to their college students who live away from home. In the package are various “gifts” and treats. They also enclose handwritten notes from each of the moms. She was telling me how much her daughter appreciated the package from home. But the one thing that she appreciated most was the encouraging notes. The notes were what made her feel loved. Not the gifts or treats but the simple thoughtful words from people who knew and loved her.

So, the next time you have to look for a gift for someone special in your life. Take the time to send a message of love and encouragement. It can be as simple as a plant poke.

Danna

No comments :

Post a Comment