Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Repurposed T-shirt scarf Tutorial

I love, love, love scarves.  I have a closet full of them and still want more.  The fact that you can dress up even the simplest blouse or t-shirt by just adding a scarf is remarkable to me.  So, I am always looking for new and different ways to make scarves. I came across this scarf a while back and decided to give it a try.  Upcycling Your Promotional Products

Here is my version of the t-shirt scarf

One of the main reasons I was intrigued by this scarf was the fact that since it was made from t-shirt material it can be worn even in the summer.  I know in Texas that seems crazy but some places I go the air conditioning works really well and I get cold even with the 110 degrees outside. 

I had the tie dyed t-shirts left over from making these scarves Scarf Crazy - Fun and Funky. The tie dyed fabric gives the scarf a little more depth and is just plain fun.  To add some extra detailing I appliqued several flowers in various locations on the scarf using raw edge applique.

The flower appliques work well to break up
the straight lines of the scarf.

Stacking the flowers is also a great way to use up the last scraps.
 
I have created a PDF pattern and tutorial for my sizing and variation of this type of scarf.  You can search and find hundreds of really cool ideas using the same theme. The PDF is here Repurposed T-Shirt Scarf
 
So if you love scarves and are looking for a way to use up (or preserve) those old t-shirts give this pattern a try.
 
Danna
 
Check out this linky party at Shabby Nest

1 comment :

  1. Very nice! I especially like the appliques--they do look like they soften the seams nicely, as well as adding some pretty detail. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete