Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

Denim Pennant Banner

I have been in the long process of trying to clean out my bags of scraps that are stuffed in my sewing/craft room cabinets.  I came across a bag of denim and decided to create a pennant banner.  This project actually pulled from several different scrap bags.  The denim bag, a bag of gingham checked fabric and a bag of vintage table linens.

The banner has 12 pennants.

I started by cutting the pennant shapes using my pinking shears to give the edges a finished look that would not ravel. The denim was heavy enough so there was no need to double the pennants.  Using the corners of the vintage cloth napkins I stitched them to the top of each pennant shape.  This created a nice overlap and good color contrast.  To finish the front side of the pennants I added a simple yoyo to the point of the napkin corners.  The yoyo's were made from the gingham checked scrap bag.  I alternated the three colors of pink, green and yellow.

Each pennant is topped with the corner of a vintage cloth napkin.
 
Since the denim was a dark blue there is a distinct color difference between the front and back sides.  Therefore I was able to create two banners in one.  For the lighter blue side of the pennants I added a simple strip of the gingham checked fabric to the top.  I cut the strips about 1 1/2" x 6" and then clipped the ends in a two point banner style.  I matched the gingham strip to the same color yoyo that was used on the front side of the pennant.  I then secured these strips to the top edge so they would not slip when I added the bias tape to finish the banner.
 
The "back" side of the banner. 
 
To complete the pennant I used a double folded bias tape in a dark blue to match the denim.  I used the entire package of 3 yards of bias tape.  When adding the tape I pinned my pennants with the side points touching so they were evenly spaced.  My banner has twelve pennant shapes, three colors of gingham check fabric and the corners of three vintage cloth napkins.  Overall the pennant banner turned out to be more fun than I had imagined.  This would be a great addition to any room or a festive two in one look for a celebration or photo shoot.  This particular banner will be posted on my Etsy account soon.
 
So, if you have some leftover denim from a previous project and are looking for a way to use it up try making a pennant banner.  This project would be great for a 4th of July banner simply by changing the fabric choices to a patriotic theme.  Who knows what fun you will have creating yours.
 
Danna
You get two looks in one banner.
 
I'm linked up to Lambert's Lately
 

No comments :

Post a Comment