Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

A Quilt for Baby Emily

This weekend I went to a shower for my husband's niece.  She is expecting her first baby in April.  For the special occasion I made her a quilt.  I used the same pattern that I did on the No Scraps Left Behind! The Gift. 


Here is the expectant Mom.  Isn't she beautiful!

I have made this keyhole pattern many times in the last two years and it amazes me how just by using different fabrics each quilt looks unique. 

I used the pattern with the panel in one row so I could applique the baby's name on the quilt.

The fabric was from a jelly roll.  I loved the mix of soft colors.

I quilted straight stitches down each row of keyhole blocks.  On the applique panel I did a free motion rambling stitch.  This adds on more element to the quilt.

The rambling stitch was done around the applique letters and flowers.  The appliques were left loose which makes them stand up slightly.

I used one of the left over strips to break up the back of the quilt.  It turned out really cute with the straight stitching and then the free motion.

The fabrics in the jelly roll were soft but with fun designs.  Perfect for a baby girl.

This pattern always goes together quickly since you are using a jelly roll.  Here are the links to some of the other keyhole block quilts I have made.  Scotty Dog Quilt and New Baby Quilts,  Notice how on the Scotty Dog quilt just by turning the blocks to a horizontal direction it changes the feel of the quilt.  You could also make this pattern using up scraps instead of a jelly roll.

The next time you need a quick quilt for a baby remember the keyhole block.

Danna

No comments :

Post a Comment