Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Old Cassette Holder turned Small Shelf

Okay, I may be dating myself with this question but that is alright.  How many of you remember cassette tapes?  If you answered "I remember." Do you remember the wooden racks they made to hold those music marvels?  Not many of us still use cassette tapes (my family excluded we have cassettes and vinyl) but the holders still have a purpose.

When I was looking for a small thin shelf to put on my bathroom wall everything I kept finding was too deep.  It was to go on the wall next to my sink and it needed to be fairly thin or I would constantly hit my head on it.  My sister-in-law was getting rid of the wooden cassette holder and as I stood there looking at it the light bulb went on.  That would make a great shelf for my wall if I removed the plastic dividers.  Here is the finished shelf.

An old cassette holder.
 
Sorry I don't have a picture of the holder before the transformation.  To make the shelf I removed the plastic dividers and painted the holder white.  To give it a more decorative feel I glued wall paper to the back of each section.  Adding saw tooth hangers to the back allowed me to hang the shelf very close to the wall.
Wallpaper is glued to the back of each section.
 
The shelf holds all the quick necessary items I need to get dressed in the morning and keeps my vanity drawers from overflowing.  The small shot glasses are from a game we bought at a discount book store and they fit perfectly on the small shelf.  I love the numbers on each glass it just adds a little whimsy.
  
 
If you are in need of a small thin shelf, head to your local thrift store and check out the old cassette holders.  Maybe it will sing the right tune to fit your wall.
 
Danna



I party with Remodelaholic

No comments :

Post a Comment