Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Stained Glass Quilt

As I have posted several times before I love the patterns of the Missouri Star Quilting YouTube channel.  Well, once again here is another pattern I recently made from them.  This one is the Stained Glass pattern.  In the video Jenny uses pale tone on tone fabrics so hers really does look like stained glass.  For my variation I used a striking black, white and yellow combination.

My variation of the Stained Glass Pattern

It is amazing how just changing the fabrics makes a whole different pattern.
 
I chose this combination of colors primarily because I had the leftover jelly roll strips from a previous quilt - New Baby Quilts.  The pattern is fairly simple to piece and assemble.  I had fun arranging the blocks to get a good arrangement of the color and pattern variations.
 
If you watch the video you can see the quilts look completely different.  It is hard to tell they are the same pattern.  The baby quilt turned out to be more striking than I thought.  It has a modern feel yet somewhat traditional with the alignment of the blocks.
 
The back of the quilt is also pieced with the leftover fabrics.  You know I can not leave a back of a quilt plain.
 
The pieced back used up most of the leftovers.

The quilting made an unusual pattern on the back. 
 
The quilting was straight lines but I went around each unit block to create a diamond effect.  It turned out much more interesting than I originally envisioned. 
 
The quilting created this very modern grid type pattern.
 
There was a bonus project that came out of this one, but I will post about that later.  I hope you are inspired to try some new quilt patterns and have fun switching out the looks by the fabrics you select.
 
Danna



No comments :

Post a Comment