Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Quick and Easy Baby Quilt

At our church we have a lovely quilt group and I am privileged to be a member.  One of our ministries is to make baby quilts for a local pregnancy center.  Each expectant mother who uses the centers services can pick out a quilt for her baby.  It is a wonderful way to show God's love to the expectant mother and literally wrap His love around their newborn baby.

Since our group provides over 100 quilts a year we are always looking for quick and easy patterns.  I found this pattern on Missouri Star Quilting.  Jenny has a great video tutorial that shows you step by step how to make this pattern.  If you have not watched any of the Missouri Star Quilt YouTube videos check them out.  They have great ideas and the videos make it easy to follow.

Here is the quilt I made using the Double Slice Layer Cake pattern.


A friend gave me the fabrics she had in her stash.  They were cut into layer cake size blocks (10 x 10).  The fabrics were a selection of library prints.  Since I used to work in the school library she thought I might enjoy making a quilt from the fabrics.  She was right.  Using the above pattern I was able to complete this quilt top in one evening at quilt group.  It only took about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish.  The border fabrics I selected from our fabric collection at church.

It is always fun to finish a new baby quilt for the ministry.  I just imagine an expectant mother who is so unsure of the future excited to select a quilt.  My prayer is each time the quilt is used she is reminded that God loves her and her baby.

If you are a quilter and looking for a way to share your love for quilting and help those in your community search for a group you can join.  I know in our town the local quilt guild makes baby quilts for the children's hospital.  Another church in our community makes them for a homeless shelter.  If you begin to ask around I am sure you can fin a place to share your talents in your community.  And, if you can't find one there is nothing to stop you from creating your own group.

Danna

No comments :

Post a Comment