Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Patchwork Express - A Trip Worth Taking!

A few weekends ago I had the opportunity to attend a Patchwork Express trip.  This is a trip where you board a bus with 49+ other quilting friends and travel to different quilt shops.  On our trip we visited 8 quilt shops in 2 days.
Three friends from my quilt group. 
A quilt shop visit always brings big smiles!

I had not been to most of the shops so it was exciting to visit someplace new.  One of the things I liked about seeing all the different shops is looking at all the quilt samples each has on display.

And of course all the fabric to drool over is another great perk.  Each shop has its own unique way to display and arrange fabric.  I am a person who starts my creations by selecting a color first.  So the shops where the fabric was arranged by color was easier for me to see all the choices.  Some shops arranged theirs by fabric lines.  This was interesting to see all the choices in a particular fabric group.

One of my favorite shops had large gift bags called "Mystery Fabric Grab Bags".  Each bag had between 4-8 pounds of fabric and you paid a fee per pound.  I purchased a 4 lb gab for $20.  I love the excitement of opening a grab bag not knowing what is inside.  Mine had two large pieces of yardage fabric in brown and black.  Also included was a ton of pre-cut  and packaged coordinating pieces.  The pre-packaged sets look like they were from a past block of the month.  I am sure I will have fun creating something with those pieces.

My friend bought a $100 Mystery Grab Bag.
This finished quilt top was in her bag.

Our bus had lots of fun winning door prizes, playing quilt bingo, sharing snacks and discussing all of our fabric and notions purchases.  The "Bus Mamma" was a friend of mine and she did a great job taking care of all our needs.

Our "Bus Mamma"

With each shop we visited I gathered new and different inspiration for future quilts.  And of course fabric to go with that inspiration.  Like most quilters I have more projects in my head than I will ever be able to accomplish but it is always good to have new inspiration.

Adding to my stash.  It is always good to have new fabrics.
You know the saying "She who dies with the most fabric wins."

The next time you are in your favorite quilt shop ask if they participate in a Patchwork Express event.  It is a trip worth taking.  Where else can you travel with so many that share the same passion for quilting.

Happy travels!
Danna


No comments :

Post a Comment