Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Scotty Dog Quilt

Sometimes you buy or have given to you fabric that is so cute you know it is destined for something special. That is the case for the Scotty Dog fabric a friend gave to me. When I first looked at it my mind raced with ideas of what it could be made with such wonderful fabric. Not only did I have the piece with the large Scotty Dogs in the border but I had the coordinating fabrics. Unfortunately as is the case in most of my “grand ideas” it sat in the closet for a long time.

Until, I came across the keyhole block on Missouri Star Quilting. It is the block I used in the great No Scraps Left Behind challenge. It is such a simple pattern but has endless possibilities. I used 2 1/2" strips instead of the 1 1/2" strips.  I turned the blocks a different direction to utilize the Scotty Dog border fabric. Using this block arrangement allowed for a simple design and made the border fabric really stand out.

I tried some additional challenges on this quilt. I quilted into the border a dog bone pattern. I cut a paper pattern and stitched around the edges. This gave me some extra practice on my free motion quilting. It is not perfect but I am getting better.

On the back I was able to incorporate the remaining blocks to create a more interesting underside. I like using the extra scraps or blocks on the back because you know they coordinate and they make it a little more exciting then just a solid piece. This can give you two quilts in one.

 
 The large Scotty Dogs was from the border fabric and is one solid piece.
 
 
The back has the left over blocks I made and the smaller border fabric. I liked how the larger Scotty Dogs are on the front and the smaller ones on the reverse side.

This is the rambling dog bone quilting I did in the red border.  You can see the stitching on the front side but it really shows nicely on the back.  With the added blocks, border fabric and quilted bones you have a two for one quilt.  One side is colorful with blocks and the other is a more
understated look.
 
I have a few other pieces in my stash that are calling to be pulled out and used.  Some I have purchased and some have been given to me.  Maybe I should get started on some new creations.
 
Danna

No comments :

Post a Comment